Family Law

We understand that legal areas commonly referenced as “family law matters” are highly important and very personal. Experienced attorneys at KLG will provide confidential and competent counsel while working through these often stressful and difficult times.


  • Dissolution of Marriage (Divorce) & Marital Legal Separation
  • Alimony & Spousal Support
  • Paternity
  • Child Custody & Visitation
  • Child Support & Adult Dependent Support
  • Medical Support
  • Adoptions
  • Guardianships

We are here to help! Schedule a free consultation to see how KLG can help today. Tell us your story.

Yes, at least one spouse must be a resident of the State of Iowa for one year before you may file for a Dissolution of Marriage in Iowa. 

To file for matters related to the custody or care of a minor child, you must file in the child’s “home state” or the state where the child has resided for at least six months.

Iowa requires a 90-day waiting period after the filing of a divorce Petition before you may finalize a divorce. A waiver may be requested under certain emergency situations as outlined in the Iowa Code.

The Judicial District (8B) for all counties we serve requires litigants in any dissolution with children or custody case to attend mediation before the Court will allow the matter to be set for hearing. These litigants are also required to attend a Children in the Middle Course before a trial will be scheduled or final orders can be filed.

The Iowa Code allows a party in a Dissolution matter to request court ordered conciliation.

Iowa law requires that the amount of a parent’s child support obligation be determined by applying uniform child support guidelines prescribed by the Iowa Supreme Court. The purpose of the Iowa Child Support Guidelines is to provide for the best interests of the children by recognizing the duty of both parents to provide adequate support for their children in proportion to their respective incomes. An order may vary from the guideline amount only if the court finds such adjustment necessary to provide for the needs of the children and to do justice between the parties under the special circumstances of individual cases. See Iowa Code section 598.21(B).

proudly serving southeast iowa
proudly serving southeast iowa